So, after finishing up the quartet version of this piece, I was about to submit the assignment when I realized... I did it wrongly >.>
It was supposed to be for 8 woodwind players, and obviously scoring for half of that wasn't going to earn me brownie points. Sigh.
In anycase, I decided that the original instruments would still be the main players, and the extra instruments for added punch. The piccolo I used to add ornaments - I really love the trill patch - and the english horn for some back and forth with the oboe.
I kept the bass clarinet and contra bassoon mostly out of the piece till the end, using them to add more weight to the lower end, as well as filling in the harmonic gaps.
I also took this chance to add in one of the melodies heard in the Ultima 6 version of Rule Britannia, so that was fun :)
Also used the vsl miracle plugin, which I thought added alot of mid range thickness, and made the piccolo really sing. Unfortunately, it seems like my notebook is at its limits; 8 vsl instruments, mir pro (conductor and rear mics) + miracle have the cpu over 80%+, and that's with the buffers at 1024 samples.
Oh well, chugging on to brass next :)