Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Working on theory

With this new year, I'm trying to find a balance between improving my instruments, learning theory, and figuring out the technical aspects like music production. The current book I'm going through, is "Harmony and Theory" by Keith Wyatt and Schroeder.

I really enjoy... nah. I don't enjoy it at all. But what's really good about this book is it gives practice in music theory, something that I found missing in my day to day playing of my sax. Sure, it comes up in the books, but somehow it's not... really. Reading from sheet music is just that. Reading from sheet music.

Going through this exercises, makes one realize how to create the scales, what an interval is etc. The only downside I see is that the first few chapters have some quirks, e.g. wrong answers given, or answers that there is no way a student could have answered, for the concepts are taught in the next chapter! So far I'm about starting chapter 12, it's been smooth sailing. Whilst I can't say, play the G minor scale on the sax now, most of the sharp'd major scales come to my fingers very quickly. I can actually remember what E, F and F# major scales on my sax!

Next would be to find the time to work on the flatted majors. Ab major? Er.....

No comments:

Post a Comment